|Warning: This wiki contains spoilers. Read at your own risk!|
Discord: If you would like, please join our Discord server!
Victor (Genealogy of the Holy War)
|“||Now, the duke of Velthomer was a reputed womaniser and had several lovers.||”|
— Filat, recounting Victor and Cigyun's story
Victor (Japanese: ヴィクトル Victor) was the Duke of Velthomer until his suicide around the year Gran 736-738, and the father of his successor Arvis. He was a notorious philanderer and drunkard with no respect for women, but nonetheless was married for seven years to Cigyun, a descendant of Saint Maera and the mother of Arvis.
Throughout his life, Victor was involved with numerous mistresses and with them had a large number of illegitimate children. Late in his life, he met Cigyun, a woman to him of unknown origin, and the two were married despite Victor's notorious behavior. Their marriage lasted seven years, during which Cigyun and Victor had a single child together: Arvis, a full-blooded heir to Velthomer and also an inheritor of his mother's minor Loptous blood.
Throughout their marriage, Victor continued his usual debauchery and disrespect of women, much to Cigyun's distress. This culminated in Victor raping and impregnating one of Cigyun's closest maidservants around Grann 736-738, which would later yield Arvis's half-brother Azelle; when Victor turned on the maidservant upon learning of her pregnancy, Cigyun came to the maidservant's defense and admonished Victor for his poor treatment. This turn of events resulted in Cigyun having an extramarital affair with Grannvale's Prince Kurth; Victor soon found out about this affair, and was furious at the news. In a fit of rage Victor wrote a final suicide note denouncing the pair, then killed himself; in the aftermath of his suicide, Cigyun fled Grannvale and was never seen again by anyone there.
In the aftermath of Victor's suicide, rule of House Velthomer fell to Arvis, then just seven years old. Arvis detested Victor for his poor treatment of Cigyun, and had all of his mistresses and illegitimate children (aside from Azelle and his mother, who acted as a surrogate mother to him until her death) exiled or reduced to slavery.
Etymology and other languages
|Names, etymology and in other regions|
|Language||Name||Definition, etymology and notes|
Referred to by this name in the fandom; he is not mentioned by name in the Genealogy of the Holy War script.
Artwork of Victor from Genealogy of the Holy War.
- "Also, Arvis exiled all but one of his father Victor's mistresses. He ordered their children to be demoted to servants or exiled. The only mistress left was a girl who was his mother Cigyun's maid servant. Although she went through a tough childhood and wasn't beautiful, she had a kind heart and frequently took care of Arvis. Even Arvis could not be cruel towards her." - Designers' notes from Fire Emblem: Treasure, as translated by Serenes Forest
- "Sigurd: Geez... I never knew. The duchess would have been Lord Arvis's mother, correct?
Filat: Precisely. Oh, what a pity... To lose both parents like that at the age of seven..." — Sigurd and Filat, Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War
- "Although Victor got his hands on the girl from the momentum of being drunk, when he knew the girl got pregnant he yelled, cursed, used violence, and tried to drive her away. The person who scolded at this was Cigyun, and the very child who this girl got pregnant with was in fact Azelle." - Designers' notes from Fire Emblem: Treasure, as translated by Serenes Forest
- "Oh, I may as well tell you the whole story. This all took place nearly 20 years ago. The lovely duchess of Velthomer, a married woman mind you, fell for the prince. Now the duke of Velthomer was a reputed womaniser and had several lovers. The prince, however, was a straight arrow. Initially, the prince merely sympathised with the duchess, but then one day the two fell deeply in love. Now the duke lost his head. After writing a letter denouncing the two, he committed suicide. The duchess, clearly perplexed, disappeared without a trace. I believe her name was Cigyun." — Filat, Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War
- A family tree in Fire Emblem: Treasure (scan by Serenes Forest[dead link])
|This article is part of Project Characters, a project focused in writing articles for every character present in the Fire Emblem series.|