- Not to be confused with Shannam, a playable character from Thracia 776.
|“||You were the one who gave us the courage to fight in the first place!||”|
— Seliph, on Shannan
Shannan (Japanese: シャナン Shanan) is the prince of Isaach, son of the late Prince Mariccle, a full-blooded descendant of the Crusader Od, and the heir to Isaach's divine blade Balmung. In his youth, on his father's orders he fled Isaach with his aunt Ayra to avoid capture by the Grannvale army during its war on Isaach; after being freed from the captivity of Cimbaeth of Verdane, he and Ayra sought refuge in the company of Sigurd of Chalphy, who protected them in spite of his country's war on their nation.
In Grann 760, Shannan was – along with Oifey – entrusted with the care of Seliph, Sigurd's infant son, in exile in Isaach in case Sigurd's attempts to clear his name failed; with Oifey and Edain, Shannan helped raise Seliph in the village of Tirnanog for the following 17 years and instructed him in swordplay, while working to raise support for a liberation army to combat the Grannvale occupation in Isaach. In Grann 777, Shannan fought with Seliph in the liberation war against Grannvale, after Seliph successfully freed Isaach in Shannan's absence. He succeeded Isaach's throne at the conclusion of the war.
Ayra was forced to work as a mercenary at Genoa Castle for Cimbaeth for money to survive and by Shannan being held hostage. When Sigurd's army defeated Cimbaeth on their invasion to rescue Edain, they seized Genoa and freed Shannan from captivity, who informed them of Ayra's plight. With Shannan's support, Sigurd convinced Ayra to stand down, and the two joined Sigurd's army to help protect Shannan; Sigurd refused to turn Shannan in to the Grannvale authorities, seeing the war with Isaach as having nothing to do with the child.
Later, during Sigurd's occupation of Agustria, Sigurd entrusted his wife Deirdre and his newborn son Seliph to Shannan's care in Agusti Castle while Sigurd's army fought the forces of King Chagall. Partway through the conflict, Shannan reluctantly let Deirdre leave the castle to find Sigurd, whereupon she was abducted by Manfroy. Distraught by having let this happen to Deirdre, Shannan found Sigurd and told him of his failure.
In Grann 760, following Sigurd's recapture of Lubeck Castle en route back to Grannvale, Shannan overheard Sigurd's attempts to get Oifey to flee to Isaach to protect Seliph, and demanded to accompany Oifey, both to fulfill his promise to Deirdre to take care of Seliph, and to provide a better level of protection as Isaach's prince. Oifey and Sigurd agreed with the suggestion, and Shannan departed with Oifey, taking Seliph, Larcei, Scáthach and Diarmuid.
At the time the Grannvale occupation learned of Tirnanog's status as the hiding place of Seliph, Shannan was out of Isaach, tracking rumors of the Balmung's location in the Aed Shrine. He successfully found the Balmung there, but it was instead stolen by Patty/Daisy, whom he pursued out of the Shrine with Loptrian agents in pursuit. After revealing his true identity, she gave the sword to Shannan, who used it to assist Seliph in defeating the Loptrian occupation and seizing the Aed Shrine.
Starting stats and growth rates
Shannan is a prepromoted Swordmaster who joins in Chapter 7 of Genealogy of the Holy War, he appears right next to Patty/Daisy and will gain the Balmung after he engages in conversation with both of them. After gaining the Balmung Shannan will easily one round every enemy in his part of the map, including the castle boss and will most likely dodge every attack thrown at him.
As the only user of the Balmung, aside from Scáthach and Larcei but they cannot use the Balmung without resorting to glitches and exploits, he'll be the first holy weapon user in the second generation. The Balmung gives Shannan +10 Skill and +20 Speed, this in combination with Adept and Astra and his high bases, means that Shannan will usually one round every enemy he faces off against, aside from the later endgame bosses, such as Julius.
Sadly, the start of chapter 7 will be Shannan's last moment to truly shine, as because of his lack of a mount, in combination with Genealogy's huge maps, means that Shannan will have a hard time arriving to battle before your mounted units have already cleared up all the enemies. This issue can be fixed somewhat by giving him the Leg ring, but that item is usually better used on Seliph or your other mounted units.
Overall, Shannan is an excellent combat unit, who has trouble arriving to battle before it has already ended.
Shannan is one of the characters added to the game in the Gullinkambi update, and became available for summoning by players on January 9, 2020. Only one variation of Shannan is currently available in Heroes, based on his Genealogy of the Holy War incarnation.
- Shannan: Wielder of Astra is only available at 5★ rarity.
|Imperial Astra||★★★★★||500 SP|
|A||Darting Stance 1||★★★★★||50 SP|
|A||Steady Posture 1||★★★★★||120 SP|
|A||Steady Posture 2||★★★★★||240 SP|
|A||Steady Posture 3||★★★★★||300 SP|
|B||Wrath 1||★★★★★||60 SP|
|B||Wrath 2||★★★★★||120 SP|
|B||Wrath 3||★★★★★||240 SP|
|C||Even Spd Wave 1||★★★★★||60 SP|
|C||Even Spd Wave 2||★★★★★||120 SP|
|C||Even Spd Wave 3||★★★★★||240 SP|
Personality and character
Shannan is stoic and reserved, contrasting Larcei, and keeps his head cool at all times — including combat. He believes that keeping his feelings in check makes him a better fighter. Another reason he acts the way he does is that he does not want his Holy Weapon, Balmung, to overpower him.
Shannan is disciplined and patient, which makes him an excellent teacher for Larcei, who idolizes him. He gives her lessons intended to make her as disciplined as he is, believing it would be best for her. He wants to live up to the legacy of Balmung and the crusader whose legacy he bears. The swordsman spells his beliefs out in his Forging Bonds conversation with Larcei in Heroes: he wants to develop his gifts, use them to protect who he cares about, and pass on the legacy to younger generations. Shannan also wants Larcei and Scathach to do the same.
Because Shannan believes that discipline is important, he also does not believe that the weapon makes the fighter. A novice with a magnificent sword cannot defeat a master who uses a basic blade. Shannan also believes that nobody can achieve all they want without relying on others. He may be formidable on his own, but he will lean on others when necessary.
Love growths and events
- In Chapter 7, Shannan can talk to Patty/Daisy at any time, granting him the Balmung.
- In Chapter 7, Seliph can talk to Shannan at any time, granting Seliph +1 Skill.
- In Chapter 7, Larcei/Creidne can talk to Shannan at any time, granting Larcei/Creidne +2 Strength and 100 love points between the pair.
- In Chapter 10, Shannan can talk to Seliph at any time, rewarding Shannan with +3 maximum HP.
- In the Endgame, if the two are lovers, Patty/Daisy can talk to Shannan at any time, granting Shannan +3 maximum HP and +3 Speed.
- In the Endgame, if the two are lovers, Larcei/Creidne can talk to Shannan at any time, granting Shannan +3 Strength.
Genealogy of the Holy War
The Kingdom of Isaach was quickly liberated from the Empire's despotic reign, but during the successor to the throne's absence, the people lived days of anxiety.
And so, with the victory of the Liberation War and Shannan's return to the country, the people of Isaach rejoiced.
Succeeding to the throne, Shannan,
Together with, among others,
His sweetheart, [lover],
Devoted himself to the reconstruction of the country, and aimed at the construction of a wealthy country by improving cultural exchanges with the other countries.
Isaach was once called the Soil of the Eastern Barbarians, however, under the reign of King Shannan, it will have an unprecedented development, and before long, will give birth to one large, and powerful country that is not inferior to the other countries, if not surpassing them.
This section has been marked as a stub. Please help improve the page by adding information.
|“||Geh... Forgive me, Seliph...!||”|
— Shannan, in Genealogy of the Holy War.
- Main article: Shannan/Quotes (Heroes)
Fire Emblem Cipher
Shannan is currently featured on three cards in Fire Emblem Cipher.
- All of the below cards' quotes are still in raw, untranslated Japanese; these need translation.
|Fire Emblem Cipher data for Shannan|
|Astral Sword Sovereign, Shannan|
|Attack: 70||Support: 10||Range: 1||Deploy Cost: 4|
|Class: Swordmaster||Tier: Advanced||Class Change Cost: 3|
|Divine Blade: Balmung: [Activate]  Send your entire hand to your Retreat Area. Select "Shannan" cards in your Retreat Area up to the number of cards sent to the Retreat Area using this skill, and add them to your hand.|
Secret Isaachian Technique: [Activate] [Once per turn] [Discard a "Shannan"] Select another ally. Until the end of this turn, that unit gains +40 attack.
Critical Astra: [Trigger] When this unit's attack is evaded after inflicting a critical hit, untap this unit.
|Card #B08-076SR(+) • Artist: Senri Kita|
|Isaachian Swordmaster, Shannan|
|Attack: 60||Support: 10||Range: 1||Deploy Cost: 3|
|Class: Swordmaster||Tier: Advanced||Class Change Cost: 2|
|Promised Sword: [Bond] [Activate] [Once per turn] [Send this card to your Retreat Area] Untap one ally that has attacked this turn. Until the end of this turn, that ally also loses -30 attack. ([Bond] This skill can only be used while this card is in the bond area).|
|Card #B08-077N • Artist: Tada|
|Prince of Isaach, Shannan|
|Attack: 40||Support: 10||Range: 1||Deploy Cost: 1|
|Class: Myrmidon||Tier: Base||Class Change Cost: --|
|Liberator of Tyranny: [Activate] [Once per turn] Reveal the top two cards of your deck. For each card that was revealed this way, until the end of this turn, this unit gains +10 attack. Send the revealed cards to the Retreat Area.|
Attack Emblem: [Support] Until the end of this battle, your attacking unit gains +20 attack.
|Card #B08-078HN • Artist: Senri Kita|
|Some card information translation provided by Serenes Forest.|
For more detailed strategic information on these cards, see their TCG wiki article on Shannan .
|Heroes||Prince of Isaach and descendant of the crusader
Od. Skilled wielder of the divine blade Balmung.
Appears in Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy
Etymology and other languages
|Names, etymology and in other regions|
|Language||Name||Definition, etymology and notes|
As of Heroes.
Used in the Genealogy of the Holy War and Thracia 776 fan translations.
Artwork of Shannan as an adult from Genealogy of the Holy War.
- "The only thing is that at this time, the only country who have not been under the influence of the gigantic country of Grannvale was the hostile (towards Grannvale) country of Verdane. Even if she escaped to one of the countries with peaceful relations with Grannvale, if their identity was revealed it was not impossible for them to be presented as prisoners (to Grannvale). So Ayra escapes to Verdane, but her long time wandering made it difficult to even get the meal for the day, so she had no choice but to work as a mercenary for Verdane. Ayra who held a brave yet pure heart lending a hand for Cimbaeth' atrocities had that kind of circumstance behind it." — Designers' notes from Fire Emblem Treasure, translated by Serenes Forest, Retrieved: June 12, 2013
- "Your vigor, while commendable, makes you easy to read. Intensity alone will not win you many battles." — Shannan to Larcei, Fire Emblem Heroes
- "Power corrupts, as they say. If I fail to be cautious, that could just as well be me. I must be mindful not to let Balmung overmaster me in the same way..." — Shannan about Owain, Fire Emblem Heroes
- "In terms of raw strength and skill, Larcei, you are more than ready for the battlefield. What you need to temper now is your heart. You must study patience, resolve, and discipline. Hone those as well as you've honed your sword technique, and you will be a force to be reckoned with." — Shannan to Larcei, Fire Emblem Heroes
- "Whatever I do with the blade, its legacy will carry forward to the generation that comes after me. That is why I must live a life worthy of those who came before me. Only then can I pass Balmung on, in good conscience, to the person who will succeed me." — Shannan to Larcei, Fire Emblem Heroes
- "The blood of great swordsmen runs in our veins. We must live up to that noble legacy. We must develop our gifts, use them to protect the ones we care about, and pass that legacy on. For the sake of the next generation, let us all aspire to achieve the very height of swordsmanship..." — Shannan, Fire Emblem Heroes
- "The weapon does not make the fighter, Larcei. You know that. A master swordsman has no reason to fear a legendary blade in the hands of a novice." — Shannan to Larcei, Fire Emblem Heroes
- "No one cuts a path all on their own. We lean on each other." — Shannan, Fire Emblem Heroes
|This article is part of Project Characters, a project focused in writing articles for every character present in the Fire Emblem series.|
|Fire Emblem Heroes|