|Warning: This wiki contains spoilers. Read at your own risk!|
Discord: If you would like, please join our Discord server!
|This page has been marked as a stub. Please help improve the page by adding information.|
Anselma von Arundel, also known as Lady Patricia in the Holy Kingdom of Faerghus, is a non-playable character mentioned in Fire Emblem: Three Houses. She's Edelgard's biological mother and Dimitri's stepmother.
Anselma was one of the scions of House Arundel in the Adrestian Empire, a minor noble house. In an Adrestian tale, it is said that one day, a young Anselma who had just enrolled in Garreg Mach Monastery met the future Adrestian Emperor Ionius IX in the Goddess Tower, who happened to visit the monastery in secret out of nostalgia. There, they fell in love, Anselma settled with becoming one of Ionius's consorts and eventually, in Imperial Year 1162, beared a child together named Edelgard von Hresvelg.
Anselma was exiled from Enbarr very early on during her time in the Imperial Palace as a result of a political strife she was caught in, to the point her daughter had no recollection nor any memories of her. As a result, she fled to the Holy Kingdom of Faerghus where Faerghus's Court mage and fellow Adrestian Cornelia welcomed her and provided her asylum, allowing her to meet King Lambert, who quickly fell in love with her and made Anselma his wife in secret, likely due to her being officially one of Ionius's consorts. That way, Anselma assumed the name of Lady Patricia for those few who knew of her presence and proceeded in the following years to raise Faerghus's Crown Prince Dimitri as her own, as his biological mother had already passed very early into his infancy, all while Cornelia regulated the visits Patricia was allowed to receive. Patricia also met Hapi during her visits to Cornelia's residence, helping her as she could as the young girl was trapped and being being experimented upon in her friend's house, much to her indignation.
In year 1171, the Insurrection of the Seven took place in which Adrestia's corrupt nobility captured Emperor Ionius IX and rendered him politically impotent. During this struggle, Anselma's brother, Volkhard von Arundel took his niece Edelgard and fled to Fhirdiad, the Kingdom Capital, in order to ensure her safety. When the news of Volkard and Edelgard's whereabouts eventually reached Anselma, Cornelia informed her that Lambert had been deliberately keeping her away from her daughter all this time, which broke her heart.
In year 1176, two years after Edelgard and Arundel returned to the Empire, Cornelia persuaded Anselma into taking part on the Tragedy of Duscur by promising her she would be able to see her daughter again. Cornelia and the noble houses involved with the upcoming tragedy then coordinated Anselma's secret escape from Duscur as the slaughter would take place, with the involved receiving direct orders to not get closer to Patricia's carriage. In spite of this, as the Tragedy finally took place, Anselma and her carriage vanished, never to be seen again.
Patricia is a non-playable character mentioned in the Blue Lions route and in Edelgard's Goddess Tower scene.
During Dimitri's supports with Hapi, it is said he and Patricia shared multiple mannerisms, such as the way the hold books and greet people.
Etymology and other languages
|Names, etymology and in other regions|
|Language||Name||Definition, etymology and notes|
• Lady Patricia
- "Byleth: It's a lovely story.
Edelgard: Isn't it? It's a shame that the lovely stories ended after I was born. For as long as I can remember, my mother had already been exiled from the capital." — Edelgard in her Goddess Tower scene, Fire Emblem: Three Houses
- "But for now, what's truly baffling is the identity of that lady you mentioned. She welcomed my stepmother into the Kingdom as she fled home due to political strife... Hm." — Dimitri in his B-support with Hapi, Fire Emblem: Three Houses
- "My stepmother was Edelgard's birth mother. Political turmoil drove my stepmother out of the Empire. Father fell in love with her at first sight and they married. I lost my birth mother before I was old enough to remember her. My stepmother filled that role for me." — Dimitri in Azure Moon Chapter 19, Fire Emblem: Three Houses
- "Although she was the queen consort, in truth, my father and stepmother were not even allowed the dignity of being alone together. And the one who persistently inserted herself between them was their intermediary...your captor. It was Cornelia herself." — Dimitri in his A-Support with Hapi, Fire Emblem: Three Houses
- "As she was seeking asylum from the Empire in the Kingdom, Lord Arundel was obligated to hide the Imperial princess's whereabouts. If her location had gone public, the Empire would have demanded her return. She would undoubtedly have become a political pawn in the Kingdom as well." — Dimitri in his A-support with Hapi, Fire Emblem: Three Houses
- "Dimitri: Her daughter... Neither my father nor I knew that the Imperial princess was in Fhirdiad at the time.
Hapi: Oh, that's not what I heard. I heard the king wanted to keep the child away from Anselma. So he hid the fact that their daughter was nearby." — Dimitri and Hapi in their A-Support, Fire Emblem: Three Houses
- "Amist the turmoil of the Tragedy, Lady Patricia was supposed to be the only one who was unharmed. We had been given orders ahead of time to not approach her carriage..." — Prisoner from House Kleiman in Azure Moon Chapter 21, Fire Emblem: Three Houses
- "Come to think of it, you greet people in the same way... Hold a book in the same way..." — Hapi in her B-support with Dimitri, Fire Emblem: Three Houses