| Warning: This wiki contains spoilers. Read at your own risk!|
Social media: Get in touch with Fire Emblem Wiki on !
In the War of Shadows, the only member of the Heretics who makes himself known is Gharnef, the "Dark Pontifex". He helped revive Medeus, and together, they restored the Dolhr Empire and allied with Grust, Macedon, and Gra. However, Medeus was not fully resurrected, and could only assume his earth dragon form inside the castle. Gra had obtained Falchion, a weapon capable of slaying Medeus, and given it to Gharnef. Gharnef was nigh invincible due to his Imhullu magic, but it was counteracted by Starlight, and he was slain. Marth obtained the stolen Falchion from Gharnef and used it to kill Medeus.
Kickstarting the War of Heroes, Gharnef preyed upon Emperor Hardin's sorrow over his discovery that Nyna had only married him for political reasons. Gharnef gave him the Darksphere, which corrupted Hardin's heart. Hardin willingly handed Nyna over to the Heretics. The Heretics kidnapped Lena, Elice, and Maria. These four women were hypnotized and were used in the resurrection of Medeus, accelerating his revival and transforming him into a true Shadow Dragon. Gharnef once again stole Falchion, and Starlight as well. When Marth killed Hardin and took the Darksphere, all five orbs were placed into the Fire Emblem, restoring it into the Binding Shield. Gharnef and his Heretics went up to Marth to congratulate him in the guise of the missing women, but the Binding Shield disabled their illusion. Marth and his army pursued Gharnef into the Wyvern's Valley. There, Michalis gave Marth Starlight, which he had stolen from Gharnef, though he was mortally wounded in the process. Marth and his army went into the Dragon's Table located into the valley, and fought barbarians, mage dragons, and the Heretics. Starlight once again counteracted Imhullu, and Gharnef was killed once more, and Falchion was retreived. Loved ones of the women (Sirius, Julian, Merric, and Minerva) were able to free them from their hypnotism, and Marth slew Medeus once more.
|The feared "Dark Pontifex" who sought to resurrect the Shadow Dragon.||• Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light|
- Dark Bishop is a class in the Jugdral games belonging to members of the Loptyrians. Like the Heretics, the Loptyrians were a cult hellbent on resurrecting an evil earth dragon.
Etymology and other names
|Names, etymology and in other regions|
|Language||Name||Definition, etymology and notes|
| • Heretics
• Dark Bishops
| • Used in the Heroes of Shadow fan translation for New Mystery of the Emblem.|
• Used in the Mystery of the Emblem fan translation.
|Japanese|| • 闇の司祭
| • Dark Bishop(s); this term is used by Gharnef and as their gameplay unit name.|
• Evil Bishops; this term is used by Gotoh, and hearkens back to Gharnef's chapter in Shadoe Dragon and the Blade of Light, known as "Evil Bishop Gharnef" (悪の司祭ガーネフ) in Japanese.
- "I recall Lord Gotoh saying his return is not yet complete; only within the keep's walls can he maintain dragon form." — Malledus, Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon
- "Yes, you killed his body. But his soul was held prisoner by the Darksphere, and within it, his hatred only grew. Afterwards, his former disciples—the heretic bishops—resurrected him. And they seem to be planning something foul." — Gotoh, Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem
|Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem: Heroes of Light and Shadow|