|Warning: This wiki contains spoilers. Read at your own risk!|
Discord: If you would like, please join our Discord server!
Founder of Ylisse
Reason: Called mostly by this term
|“||The blood of the first exalt flows strong in us. You and I will keep Ylisse safe. I believe it with all my heart.||”|
An unnamed man, commonly referred to as the first exalt (Japanese: 初代聖王 First Holy King) by Ylisseans, was the founder of the modern Halidom of Ylisse. Little is known of the man, but legends of his life are still told through the course of Fire Emblem Awakening.
One thousand years prior to the era of his descendant Chrom, the first exalt arose in opposition to the Fell Dragon Grima, who was terrorizing the world at the time. Using the Fire Emblem and Falchion, he travelled to Mount Prism, performed the first known rite of Awakening and entered a blood pact with the divine dragon Naga. Wielding Naga's power through Falchion and Fire Emblem, the man fought and defeated Grima, sealing him in an unending sleep, and thus restored peace to the land.
Following Grima's defeat, the man founded Ylisse and ruled as its first exalt. During his reign he worked to put an end to his people's deep-rooted racism toward the taguel, declaring them an equal people and working to free them from centuries of slavery and abuse. While the actions backing these words took time to arise and was ultimately unsuccessful, his gesture restored to the taguel their dignity and independence, and in exchange all taguel believe they owe any Ylissean exalt, past or present, their aid should it be needed. Among the first exalt's companions was a renowned pegasus knight. This woman was both an extremely talented warrior and a master of diplomacy who, like Caeda, possessed great charisma and frequently recruited more allies to the exalt's side.
The rest of the first exalt's life is unknown, as is his death. His descendants continued to rule Ylisse for the following thousand years, with his most recent descendants to inherit the full breadth of his power being Chrom and Lucina.
- Based off his ownership of Falchion and his descendants being descended from Marth, it is likely the founder of Ylisse was a descendant of Marth.
- "She carries Falchion, my same sword. And the same sword the first exalt used to defeat Grima long ago." — Chrom, Fire Emblem Awakening
- "Frederick: It's said the first exalt paid tribute to Naga at a site on Mount Prism.
Chrom: Do you know where, exactly?
Frederick: Yes. There is an altar at the peak of the mountain. If milord would perform the Awakening, it must be done there." — Frederick and Chrom, Fire Emblem Awakening
- "Long ago, at the dawn of our age, the fell dragon tried to destroy the world. But the first exalt joined forces with the divine dragon and laid the beast low. Exalt Emmeryn reminds us all of the peace we fought for then." — Frederick, Fire Emblem Awakening
- "Libra: I apologize for disturbing you, but there's something I need to ask. Why did you come to the exalt's aid?
Panne: I knew neither her face nor her name. All I knew is she was descended from the first exalt.
Libra: Your debt was to a man who died over a thousand years ago?
Panne: It is the debt of all the taguel. We are told the story as kits. In his time, the taguel were slaves to humans. Kept as labor—or even pets—we were treated worse than livestock. The slightest resistance would earn a swift execution, to serve as an example.
Libra: I've never heard of such cruelty.
Panne: Humans are quick to forget history. ...Or rewrite it. But the first exalt had the strength and courage to end the horror. He stood up for the taguel, though it earned him the ire of his fellow humans. "We are all the same," he said. "Equal beings. No difference separates human and taguel." [...] It was a platitude then, as now. But in that platitude, my kind found salvation. Liberation and equality took time, but in those words we found dignity. And so we teach our young of the debt we owe him. Should any exalt ever need our aid, we will give it regardless of the cost." — Libra and Panne, Fire Emblem Awakening
- "Cordelia: Yes. She lived back in the legendary times of the first exalt of Ylisse. She was his greatest knight and his most stalwart defender. She watched over him like the sun itself, swooping down to dispatch foes. The slow, heavy knights feared her aerial dance most of all. At night they huddled together and told tales of a death-dealing lance from the sky.
Donnel: Gosh! She sounds mighty impressive.
Cordelia: Oh, she was. But she was more than just a warrior. She had the courage of a demon, yes, but the heart of an angel. They say the people loved her even more than she loved the exalt. In fact, for every foe she defeated, she won two more to her side with her charisma." — Cordelia and Donnel, Fire Emblem Awakening
|This article is part of Project Characters, a project focused in writing articles for every character present in the Fire Emblem series.|