|“||Ah, she was an eyesore. I made her life a living hell! Hahaha, I had so much fun back then...||”|
— Hilda, on her abuse of Ethnia
In Genealogy of the Holy War's story, Ethnia acts as a substitute for Tailtiu's role in the backstory of the second generation if Tailtiu died or failed to have children in the playthrough in question and the substitute characters Amid and Linda are instead present.
Upon learning of Tailtiu's departure from Friege to ally with Sigurd and Claud, and of her subsequent demise, Ethnia also left Friege to join Sigurd's army herself out of respect for her sister. In the aftermath of the Battle of Belhalla, she fled to Silesse and at some point had two children, Amid and Linda. Though she and her children successfully spent several years in hiding there, she and Linda were eventually discovered and captured by her brother Bloom, leaving Amid behind; Ethnia and Linda were imprisoned and subjected to the care of Bloom's wife Hilda, whose years of constant abuse resulted in Ethnia's death.
Personality and character
Compared to her outgoing and energetic elder sister, Ethnia was more quiet and reserved, but nonetheless held an exceptionally close sisterly relationship with Tailtiu.
- Ethnia shares her name with two other figures mentioned in the Jugdral story: an earth goddess mentioned by Leif in Thracia 776, and the Queen of Ulster and Miranda's mother as attested by Thracia 776 Illustrated Works. In the latter case, it is later suggested by the Fire Emblem 20th Anniversary Encyclopedia that they are not the same person.
Etymology and other languages
|Names, etymology and in other regions|
|Language||Name||Definition, etymology and notes|
Widely used by the fandom; she is not mentioned by name in any version of Genealogy of the Holy War.
Artwork of Ethnia from Genealogy of the Holy War.
- "Linda: Hey Amid, what made mum defect Friege and join Sigurd's army?
Amid: She joined because her sister died fighting for Sigurd's army. The two were real close." — Linda and Amid, Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War
- "Well, my mother fought with the liberation army. After the war we all fled to Silesse. But my mother and baby sister were taken from me, and this pendant is all I have left of her. I found out just recently that it was King Bloom who took them from me. I also found out that my mother had passed away but that my sister was still alive! YOU are my sister! I've come all the way from Silesse for you!" — Amid, Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War
- "Hilda: Hohoho, if it isn't Linda. You're that woman's daughter, right? You're just as ungrateful as she was.
Linda: Hilda... because of you, my mother...!
Hilda: Ah, she was an eyesore. I made her life a living hell! Hahaha, I had so much fun back then...
Linda: ! I'll never forgive you...
Hilda: Well, don't we sound all grown up!? What can a little girl like you do to me? I'll send you to hell, just as I did her!" — Hilda and Linda, Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War
- "The Great River of Thracia... The sheer vastness of this river never ceases to amaze me. Just look at purity of the water... It must surely be blessed by Ethnia, the Earth Goddess." — Leif, Fire Emblem: Thracia 776
- A family tree in Fire Emblem: Treasure (scan by Serenes Forest)
|This article is part of Project Characters, a project focused in writing articles for every character present in the Fire Emblem series.|