|Warning: This wiki contains spoilers. Read at your own risk!|
Discord: If you would like, please join our Discord server!
|“||While on the march through the Aed Desert, Quan and Ethlyn are suddenly attacked by the Thracian army and die far from their homeland.||”|
— Opening of Fire Emblem: Thracia 776
The Aed Massacre (Japanese: イードの虐殺 Yied Massacre) was a skirmish between the armies of Leonster and Thracia which occurred in the south-western region of the Aed Desert in Grann 761. In a final battle which broke the long-term tension between the two nations, Thracia's King Travant led an ambush upon Leonster's Prince Quan and his Lanceritter knights, overwhelming and slaughtering them.
Ever since the Thracian Peninsula split into two countries - the Munster District and Thracia - as a result of the actions of the second Thracian king, the two halves of the peninsula were pitted against each other in centuries of a cold war. Thracia sought to reclaim the fertile northern territory for itself, with its own territory highly unsuitable for farming and resulting in an impoverished nation needing to hire itself out for mercenary work to survive. It was never, however, able to succesfully advance on the Munster District because of the Lanceritter, the elite mounted knights of Leonster, proving to be an impenetrable force to the Thracian army. It was under these conditions that Travant came to become the Thracian king, both yearning for reunification for the good of his people and thoroughly despising Leonster and its people.
Leonster's prince, Quan, was a close friend and ally of Sigurd of Chalphy and was married to Sigurd's sister Ethlyn, and so in Grann 757 the two assisted Sigurd in his battles in Verdane and Agustria, and accompanied him in exile to Silesse after Sigurd was framed for the assassination of Grannvale's prince, Kurth. Shortly into their time in Silesse, Quan and Ethlyn departed the country to return to Leonster, intending to raise support for Sigurd's cause and an army to assist him in the conflict against Grannvale. During their time back in Leonster, Ethlyn gave birth to their second child, Leif.
In Grann 761, Quan led a unit of eight Lanceritter knights on the mission to reinforce Sigurd, who was already battling the forces of Grannvale at Lubeck Castle north of the desert. He was accompanied by Ethlyn, who had reluctantly taken with her their eldest child, Altena; neither intended for Ethlyn to remain with the party for long, especially in light of Altena's presence, but Ethlyn wished to remain with Quan for "just a little longer". Meanwhile, Travant had either directly or indirectly learned from Veld of the Loptr Church of the passage of the Lanceritter through the Aed Desert, and so deployed with his lieutenant Magorn and thirteen Wyvern Riders in pursuit of Quan.
As horseback riders, Quan's entire unit struggled to move in the desert, and so panicked upon sighting Travant's forces closing in on them, knowing the ability to put up a fight against flyers was limited under these conditions. With Ethlyn's encouragement, the group attempted to fight off the Thracian army, but was quickly overwhelmed and slain.
Upon the defeat of the Leonster group, one of the Thracian men found Altena near Ethlyn's corpse and handed her over to Travant upon his order. Travant took Altena and the Gáe Bolg with him back to Thracia, leaving his army behind under Magorn's command under orders to fly north and assist with the fight against Sigurd's group, with the hope of winning the sizable bounty placed upon them by Grannvale. The entire Thracian unit was defeated in the fight with Sigurd.
Sigurd received word of Quan and Ethlyn's demise in the southern region of the desert from a village elder of Phinora upon seizing the castle back from Velthomer's army. Later, back in the Munster District, the four kingdoms attempted to prepare for all-out war against Thracia upon receiving news of the Aed Massacre; at the Great River of Thracia, the four marshalled their forces in preparation for the Thracian army under the command of Leonster's King Calf, but were defeated through the betrayal of General Raydrik of Conote, and the Munster District fell briefly under Thracia's rule. However, Thracia was soon betrayed again by Raydrik and defeated by the Grannvale army, which claimed the Munster District under its own rule and cowed Thracia into an alliance.
Survivors and casualties
- All members of the Lanceritter
- Magorn: Following the defeat of the Lanceritter, Travant tasked the Thracian unit to fly north to join with Grannvale's army in the battle against Sigurd. There were no survivors on the part of the Thracians.
- All members of the Thracian army except Travant: Following the defeat of the Lanceritter, Travant tasked the Thracian unit to fly north to join with Grannvale's army in the battle against Sigurd. There were no survivors on the part of the Thracians.
- Altena: The infant Altena was the sole survivor of the Leonster group, and was abducted by Travant along with the Gáe Bolg and subsequently raised as his own daughter.
- Travant: Departed the battlefield with Altena and the Gáe Bolg following the defeat of the Lanceritter.
- Finn: Stationed in Leonster at the time, protecting the infant Prince Leif. When the Munster District fell to Thracia, he fled with Leif and Lachesis, and over a decade later served in Seliph's liberation army.
- In Chapter 5, it is possible, though highly unlikely, for the Leonster army to survive against and defeat the Thracian army; however, this has no impact on the game's story, and it will continue as if they were defeated.
Etymology and other languages
|Names, etymology and in other regions|
|Language||Name||Definition, etymology and notes|
Artwork of the Aed Massacre from Thracia 776 Illustrated Works.
Quan's and Travant's clash, as depicted in Fire Emblem Cipher.
The Aed Massacre in the opening of Thracia 776.
- "Afterwards, the one who would succeed the Thracian throne was Dáinn's son, but he wasn't the type of person who would make a good king. After ascending the throne, he implemented a terror policy, operated by his trusted subordinates, to suppress the masses. This resulted in Njörun's son leading the marquesses to rebel, and in the end they successfully subdued the northern, fertile lands. Later, by Grandbell's mediation, the small countries to the north pushed Leonster to become the leader of the alliance, and with Thracia's permission they officially obtained independence." - Designers' notes from a Genealogy of the Holy War playing guide, as translated by Serenes Forest
- "Manfroy: Make sure that you kill him. If you don't, our efforts of assassinating Quan would be for nought.
Veld: ...They still think Trabant is the man responsible for Quan's death...
Manfroy: Hahaha...pathetic fools. Thracia doesn't have the means of getting accurate information on Leonster... Taking advantage of Travant's ambitions to make Northern and Southern Thracia kill each other... Your plan has been a marvelous success." — Manfroy and Veld, Fire Emblem: Thracia 776
- "What!? Thracia's Dragon Knights!! Argh... No! Travant's followed us! Ethlyn!! Get out of here! We can't put up any kind of fight in the desert!" — Quan, Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War
- "Cuan's dead, is he? Good. Magorn, take our men up an' raise some hell on Sigurd's troops. There's a nice reward on their heads, so don't let a single one slip by ya." — Travant, Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War
|Fire Emblem: Thracia 776|